Friday, March 13, 2009

In Defense of Clean Rooms

Entropy is the scientific term used to describe the trend that all components of any given system will grow more disorderly on a molecular level with time. Through the perspective of thermodynamic chemistry, it can be said that an object experiences a positive change in entropy when it melts, since its molecules become less and less attached to one another. I can truthfully say that I'm currently conducting my own scientific experiment on entropy, using my living quarters as a large scale model. Moreover, I'm sure that many of my colleagues around campus are conducting this same experiment by filling their dorms with the flotsam and jetsam of college life.

Many of my readers are probably thinking: why clean when you the next day you're just going to throw your old clothes on the floor, spill tea all over your bed sheets, and find ants all in your favorite cereal whether you close the box or not. However, there comes a point in every student's life when rancid pizza and spoiled milk needs to be thrown away. Winter is coming to a close and it's time to pull out the vacuum cleaner and pick up your own trash for once.


Our university has a beautiful campus that involves the collective effort of an entire community of people who mow lawns, pant flowers, and water trees. Shouldn't students take as much pride in their dorms as they do in Trinity landscape? Even though my housekeeping skills are mediocre, I'm still going to try and organize my room before summer vacation.

1 comment:

  1. Hey...are you trying to impress and old chemistry teacher? You are an excellent writer. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete